Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.
— Miguel de Cervantes (Don Quixote)
Working 60 hours each week demolished my summer reading plans. So I’ve embarked on a sort of experiment to schedule more reading into each day. The results? Not always pretty.
When and where I should NOT read (lessons learned the hard way):
1. in the bathtub. Splish-splash, and… Hemingway’s taking a bath
2. during meals involving spaghetti
3. while baking anything, but especially while baking chocolate chip cookies
4. while, um, driving. . . I really don’t care to get too close to the Carolina By-Products truck in the next lane
5. The Inferno, right before going to bed. . . it does strange things to one’s mind